The University of Texas at Arlington (UTA) FabLab is a state-of-the-art fabrication laboratory that provides access to cutting-edge technologies, equipment and opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration in support of invention and entrepreneurship. The FabLab is a platform for ethical, project-based science, technology, engineering, arts and mathematics (STEAM) experiential learning opportunities. The following procedures have been developed to ensure the FabLab provides the most positive and successful learning environment possible for its Learners.
General Use Procedures
- The FabLab is a teaching and learning space for current UTA students, faculty and staff in any major or year of study (Learners).
- The FabLab does not offer drop-off production services, and gives equal priority to both academic and recreational projects.
- Learners are required to have an active, functioning Mav ID to use FabLab equipment.
- Learners will be issued an RFID fob that will allow them entrance into the shop room and access to the equipment for which they have been trained and approved.
- Learners are responsible for keeping Mav ID cards and RFID fobs secure and must immediately report the loss of access cards or fobs to FabLab staff. Help us maintain security and ensure that no unauthorized person is using your ID; no sharing of IDs or RFIDs is permitted. A replacement fee will be charged to procure a new ID or RFID fob.
- Learners are required to check in with FabLab staff when entering the lab and before operating equipment, and are required to check out when equipment use has concluded.
- Learners must be trained on the safe and proper use of equipment by FabLab staff before Learners will be allowed to operate any equipment.
- Learners must immediately report all problems or concerns, including all actual or potential injuries or accidents, to FabLab staff.
- Learners must immediately discontinue use of equipment and alert a FabLab staff member if the Learner suspects an equipment malfunction.
- Learners must not attempt to repair or modify any equipment.
- A Learner’s failure to follow all instructions and directions given by FabLab staff may result in dismissal from the FabLab.
- A Learner’s failure to operate the equipment properly and safely may result in the Learner’s loss of access to the equipment and/or monetary damages being charged to the Learner to replace or repair the equipment.
- Beverages and food are not permitted in designated fabrication zones within the lab.
- Learners are responsible for cleaning up after each project and for keeping all work areas clean and free of debris. Sweeping, wiping down machines, and cleaning off tables shows respect for the FabLab and other Learners.
- Please clean up spilled liquids immediately to prevent slipping hazards and keep floors free of oil, grease or any other liquid.
- Don’t waste. Place all usable scrap in marked containers.
- Learners are expected to clean and organize their work stations after each use and return tools and supplies to the designated areas.
- Don't rush. Learners must allot enough time to work on projects at a comfortable pace, allowing for learning and iteration; rushing will compromise safety and increase the chance of damaging equipment.
- If Learners do not know, or are unsure how to do something in the FabLab — ASK! Learners should never try to do something they do not know how to do.
- Learners shall treat each other respectfully, sharing their knowledge whenever possible.
Fees and Pickup Procedures
- There will be a charge for any library supplied materials and consumables.
- Prices will vary depending upon the type of material used.
- Approved materials brought in by Learners will not incur any usage charges.
- Learner supplied materials must be approved by FabLab staff prior to usage.
- The FabLab reserves the right to refuse usage of any Learner supplied materials.
- Learners are responsible for managing the approved materials they have provided. Materials that are left behind and/or forgotten may be considered to be abandoned and used as scrap material by other learners in the lab.
- The FabLab does not have room to store projects; items created within the FabLab must be picked up within 14 days from the start of the project.
- If items are left after 14 days from the start of the project, they will be considered abandoned and will become property of the UTA Libraries to dispose of or display at the discretion of FabLab staff. Learners will still be charged for library supplied materials and consumables used for abandoned or failed projects.
- Items must be picked up by Learners who created them with presentation of a proper Mav ID.
- A cost center number and accurate contact information must be provided by Learners to FabLab staff and must be pre-approved before any interdepartmental charges will be allowed. Interdepartmental charges will be billed at the conclusion of the project or at the end of the academic semester, whichever comes first. Ongoing interdepartmental projects should be renewed at the beginning of each new semester.
Prohibited Use Procedures
To ensure that the FabLab is an ethical learning environment, the creation of the following projects is prohibited at the discretion of the Library administration:
- Any project prohibited by local, state, or federal law;
- Any project that is unsafe, harmful, dangerous or poses a threat to the well-being of others;
- Any project that contributes to a hostile academic or work environment;
- Any project that violates another’s intellectual property rights;
- Any project that is considered sexually explicit or otherwise offensive; and,
- The Library administration reserves the right to refuse any fabrication requests deemed inconsistent with UTA’s policies and procedures.
HOLD HARMLESS AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK
BY USING THE EQUIPMENT IN THE FABLAB YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT THERE ARE RISKS INVOLVED USING THE EQUIPMENT AND HEREBY ACCEPT ANY AND ALL RISKS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO PROPERTY DAMAGE, PERSONAL INJURY, DISABILITY, AND DEATH. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, YOU AGREE TO INDEMNIFY, DEFEND AND HOLD HARMLESS UT ARLINGTON FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL CLAIMS ARISING OUT OF OR RESULTING FROM YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE FABLAB.