The University of Texas at Arlington (UTA) FabLab is a state-of-the-art fabrication laboratory which provides access to cutting-edge technologies and equipment, opportunities for interdisciplinary collaboration, and access to industry mentors in support of invention and entrepreneurship. The FabLab is a platform for ethical project-based, hands-on science, technology, engineering, arts, and mathematics (STEAM) education.
- Please check in with the FabLab supervisor or staff when entering the lab.
- The FabLab is a learning laboratory and therefore does not offer drop-off production services.
- Approval to operate equipment must be obtained prior to use. Do not use any machine until you have been trained and are knowledgeable on its proper use.
- Immediately report all problems or concerns, including all injuries or potential accidents, to the lab supervisor or staff.
- Please follow all instructions and directions given by staff. Failure to do so may result in dismissal from the lab.
- Failure to operate the equipment safely and as directed by staff will result in (1) loss of access to the equipment and (2) fines covering any damage to the equipment.
- Damages caused by improper use of the equipment will be charged to the user.
- Beverages and food are not permitted in designated fabrication zones within the lab.
Fees and Pickup
- There will be a charge for any library supplied materials. Prices will vary depending upon the type of material used. Materials brought in by users will not incur any usage charges.
- Any user supplied materials must be approved by FabLab staff prior to usage. The FabLab reserves the right to refuse usage of any user supplied materials.
- Items created within the FabLab must be picked up within 14 days from start of the project. If items are left after time allotted, they will be considered abandoned and will become property of the UTA Libraries to dispose of or display at the discretion of FabLab staff.
- Items must be picked up by the individual who printed them, using an UTA ID or government issued ID.
- To ensure that the FabLab is an ethical learning environment, the creation of certain projects is prohibited. Users will not be permitted to use the FabLab to create projects which are
- Prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
- Unsafe, harmful, dangerous or pose a threat to the well-being of others.
- Contributive to a hostile academic or work environment.
- In violation of another’s intellectual property rights.
- Considered sexually explicit or otherwise offensive in the sole discretion of UTA.
- The Library reserves the right to refuse any fabrication requests.
HOLD HARMLESS AND ASSUMPTION OF RISK
BY USING THE EQUIPMENT IN THE FABLAB YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT THERE ARE RISKS INVOLVED USING THE EQUIPMENT AND HEREBY ACCEPT ANY AND ALL RISKS, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO PROPERTY DAMAGE, PERSONAL INJURY, DISABILITY, AND DEATH. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, YOU AGREE TO INDEMNIFY, DEFEND AND HOLD HARMLESS UT ARLINGTON FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL CLAIMS ARISING OUT OF OR RESULTING FROM YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE FABLAB.